622 S. Union Ave., Pueblo, CO 81004
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Library, a voluntary membership organization with over 1,200 members, recognizes that excellence in library services enhances the quality of life in our community.
Chartered in 1960, FOL continues to support the growth of the Pueblo City-County Library District and its energetic programs. FOL operates a used book store "Books Again", which opened in 2005, to fund library programs, including the award-winning summer reading program, reading and writing contests and a bookmark design contest, as well as other unique and popular library projects.
The Friends of the Library annual meeting is held each April to elect board members for the coming year, to present the projected annual budget, and to give an annual report of services and activities. In addition, there is a dinner and special entertainment.
Funds raised through membership fees and sales at the Books Again Used Bookstore are used for many extra special projects at the library and its branches. Library employees may submit requests for funding special projects by filling out the Request for Funding Proposal form, available at the Books Again, and returning it there. Consideration of these requests is done twice a year by the Project Selection Committee of the Friends of the Library
Since Friends of the Library was founded in 1960, over $1,250,000 has been donated to benefit Pueblo City-County Library District.
Membership in Friends of the Library
Membership income makes the library even better
All Friends of the Library Family Memberships and above may, at no additional cost, register the children living in their home from the age of preschool to 4th grade (Kids' Club) or 5th grade and up (Young Readers League) in our Young Friends of the Library Club. Benefits include: Colorful personal membership card; special member party once each year; buy one get one free on all books in the Children and Youth Department at Books Again Used Book Store; and special benefits for members at Library Summer Reading Events. See membership form for details.
Print the form, fill in requested information, and mail to Friends of the Pueblo City-County Library District, 622 S Union, Pueblo, Colorado 81004, or ask for a membership form at any library location.
- Individual/Family Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again and mailed copy of News & Events.
- Gold/Platinum/Business Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and a valuable premium.
- Benefactor/Patron Members: Receive 20% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and valuable premium.
- All Members: Admittance to the Special One Day Preview Sale, for Members Only, before our huge Semi-Annual Books-by-the-Bag Sale held in April and October. Invitations to unique Friends’ programs and annual meeting program, including dinner and entertainment, and elected membership to the Friends of the Library Board of Directors.
Friends of the Library News
Pueblo City-County Library District’s Friends of the Library recognized two Friends of the Year. Jan Hoover and Teresa Therriault were honored during the organization’s annual meeting and volunteer appreciation dinner May 19.
The 1,000-plus-member organization supports funding of library programs and scholarships for library staff through sales of gently used books at Books Again, 622 S. Union Ave. During its six decades of existence, more than $1,250,000 has been donated to benefit Pueblo City-County Library District.
Friends of the Library also sponsors five annual creative opportunities for reading achievement, creative writing, and artistic abilities that 2,066 students participated in last year.
Books Again has been in business for 18 years and has 40 sections of gently used books. The all-volunteer staffed bookstore provides volunteer opportunities to more than 60 Puebloans, like this year's Friends of the Year.
Jan stepped up to manage Books Again Bookstore. She continues to and has made the workplace safer for volunteers by installing cameras in critical areas of the store, having lockers installed for volunteers to store their valuables, had a safe installed to keep register cash in a safe place and more. She created training manuals for new volunteers and has spent many hours of her own time working in the store to improve sales, make volunteers feel comfortable in the work place, make customers feel welcome by store décor and improved ease of finding their individual needs and bargain prices.
Jan began volunteering at Books Again in 2016. She loves the bookstore and considers it one of Pueblo’s many treasures. Jan also serves as the vice president of the Friends of the Library board.
Teresa gives her time, energy and financial assistance to the Friends of the Library and Books Again Bookstore in ways no other volunteer has ever done. She is a member at the patron level and serves on the Friends of the Library board. She and her husband, Darrel, have donated their time and money to Books Again. Teresa has the second-highest number of volunteer hours contributed at the store. She often stays late and comes in on the weekend to work on her multimedia section while also helping to manage the store. Teresa loves the Pueblo City-County Library District and all it does for the community.
Teresa is dependable, intelligent, funny and easy to work with. She is detailed, organized, friendly and genuine. She gets along with everyone and is an excellent communicator. She is a friend, role model and mentor. Teresa is the most selfless person and will give the shirt off her back if she can help someone in need.
Friends of Pueblo City-County Library District Accomplishments
May 2022 to April 2023 – Our 63rd year
The mission of the Friends of Pueblo City-County Library District is to help the library system make educational, informational, cultural and recreational services available to the public. In fulfillment of this mission the Friends present the following accomplishments for the 2022-2023 fiscal year.
EDUCATIONAL AND RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
The Friends had a direct, positive impact on many Pueblo County youth. The FOL sponsored the following contests by providing the winners with gift certificates to Books Again Bookstore. Contest winners are also awarded a booklet of the winning entries and a certificates of recognition. All contests were judged by FOL Board Members and included:
- 1,138 entries in the Scary Story Contest.
- 1,444 entries in the Create Your Own Dr. Seuss Character Contest.
- 338 entries in the Poetry Contest.
- 1,323 entries in the Bookmark Contest.
- 665 entries for the Winter Contest.
INFORMATIONAL AND CULTURAL ACTIVITIES
- The Project Selection Committee of the Friends awarded funds that totaled $20,177.20 to fulfill grant requests from library employees.
- Provided $1,200 towards the printing and postage of PCCLD's Discover Program Guide. The program guide is an important communications tool for informing the community of library programs, new services and Friends' activities. The program guide reached over 15,000 people and organizations last year.
- Selected Jan Hoover and Teresa Therriault as the 2023 Friends of the Year.
- Nominated Teresa Therriault for the Outstanding Women Awards.
- Awarded $10,000 in scholarships to library district employees seeking a degree in Masters of Library Science.
- Books Again donated books to 26 non-profits in Pueblo County and to several PCCLD branches.
To make these contributions possible, the Friends raise funds through memberships and the sale of books at Books Again.
- Friends of the Library memberships total 1,021.
- During 2022, Books Again volunteers donated more than 10,000 hours to operate the store.
- Books Again netted $92,754.44 in sales between May 1, 2022, and April 30, 2023.
- Since Books Again opened in July of 2005, over $1,529,500 in profits have been provided to the Friends of the Library to fund projects at Pueblo City-County Library District.
Thank you for your support of the Friends