622 S. Union Ave., Pueblo, CO 81004
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friends Of The Library
The Friends of the Library, a voluntary membership organization with over 1,200 members, recognizes that excellence in library services enhances the quality of life in our community.
Chartered in 1960, FOL continues to support the growth of the Pueblo City-County Library District and its energetic programs. FOL operates a used book store "Books Again", which opened in 2005, to fund library programs, including the award-winning summer reading program, reading and writing contests and a bookmark design contest, as well as other unique and popular library projects.
The Friends of the Library annual meeting is held each April to elect board members for the coming year, to present the projected annual budget, and to give an annual report of services and activities. In addition, there is a dinner and special entertainment.
Funds raised through membership fees and sales at the Books Again Used Bookstore are used for many extra special projects at the library and its branches. Library employees may submit requests for funding special projects by filling out the Request for Funding Proposal form, available at the Books Again, and returning it there. Consideration of these requests is done twice a year by the Project Selection Committee of the Friends of the Library
Since Friends of the Library was founded in 1960, over $1,250,000 has been donated to benefit Pueblo City-County Library District.
Membership In Friends Of The Library
Membership income makes the library even better
All Friends of the Library Family Memberships and above may, at no additional cost, register the children living in their home from the age of presechool to 4th grade (Kids' Club) or 5th grade and up (Young Readers League) in our Young Friends of the Library Club. Benefits include: Colorful personal membership card; special member party once each year; buy one get one free on all books in the Children and Youth Department at Books Again Used Book Store; and special benefits for members at Library Summer Reading Events. See membership form for details.
Print the form, fill in requested information, and mail to Friends of the Pueblo City-County Library District, 622 S Union, Pueblo, Colorado 81004 , or ask for a membership form at any library location.
- Individual/Family Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again and mailed copy of News & Events.
- Gold/Platinum/Business Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and a valuable premium.
- Benefactor/Patron Members: Receive 20% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and valuable premium.
- All Members: Admittance to the Special One Day Preview Sale, for Members Only, before our huge Semi-Annual Books-by-the-Bag Sale held in April and October. Invitations to unique Friends’ programs and annual meeting program, including dinner and entertainment, and elected membership to the Friends of the Library Board of Directors.
Friends of the Library Annual PCCLD Board Mixer
The Friends of the Pueblo City/County Library District held their annual PCCLD Board Mixer on Thursday, May 6, 2021, at Books Again
Invitations were extended to Books Again Volunteers to join with the Friends of the Library Board, along with board members of the Pueblo Library Foundation and Board of Trustees, and library staff. The mixer was held outdoors in a tent in the Books Again bookstore parking lot. Food and drinks were provided. Guests were given special access to the Books-by-the-Bag Sale on the first day of the sale.
One item of business was recognizing the officers and other members of the FOL Board for 2021:
- President - Erik Seagall
- Vice President - Chrissy Holliday
- Secretary - David Wagner
- Treasurer - Jeffrey DeHerrera
- Other Board Members: Monica Ayala, Jean Eskra, Amanda Guerrero, Jean Latka, Jessi Ones, Melanie Phelps, Laura Mae Smith, and Sherry Wingo
A second item of business was honoring Eileen Arnot with the 10th annual "Friend of the Year" award. FOL Board President, Erik Segall, make the presentation, noting Eileen's decades of specializing in chilidren's books, her service on the Friends of the Library Board, and the many hours she has dedicated to improving the Pueblo Library District. Click here to read the details of Eileen's outstanding service to the Friends.
And a third item of business was recognizing the contriubtions of the Books Again volunteers. Jim Stuart, manager of the bookstore, noted that the BA Volunteers perform a wide range of jobs and devote many hours of service to the bookstore and library district. Click here to read details on the jobs and hours of service contributed by the BA volunteers.
Friends of Pueblo City-County Library District Accomplishments May 2020 to April 2021 - Our 60st Year
The mission of the Friends of Pueblo City-County Library District is “to help the library system make educational, informational, cultural and recreational services available to the public.” In fulfillment of this mission the Friends present the following accomplishments for the 2020-2021 fiscal year.
Educational and Recreational Activities
The Friends had a direct, positive impact on many Pueblo County youth in the following ways:
- Judged 636 entries in the 28th Annual Scary Story Contest. The winners received a booklet of the winning stories, a certificate of recognition and a gift certificate to Books Again.
- Sponsored the Friends of the Library Youth Creative Writing Contest with 39 entries.
- Sponsored the Create Your Own Dr. Seuss Character Contest by providing Books Again gift certificates to the winners. Winners also received a booklet of the winning entries. There were 578 figments of students’ imaginations received!
- Judged the 24th Annual Poetry Contest and awarded winners with Books Again gift certificates, a booklet of the winning entries and a certificate of achievement.
- Judged the Up With Reading Bookmark Contest and awarded the winners with Books Again gift certificates, 20 copies of their bookmark and a certificate of achievement.
Informational and Cultural Activities
- The Project Selection Committee of the Friends awarded funds that totaled $10,505.37 to fulfill 14 grant requests from library employees.
- Provided $1,200 towards the printing and postage of News & Events. The newsletter is an important communications tool for informing the community of library programs, new services and Friends’ activities. The newsletter reached over 20,000 people and organizations last year.
- Selected Eileen Arnot as the 2021 Friend of the Year.
- Awarded $5,000 in scholarships to library district employees seeking a Masters of Library Science.
To make these contributions possible, the Friends raise funds through memberships and the sale of books at Books Again.
- Memberships total 1,136.
- Books Again had gross sales in 2020 of $60,365 and profited $24,988.
- During 2020, Books Again volunteers donated more than 4,959 hours to operate the store.
- Since Books Again opened in July of 2005, over $796,189 in profits have been provided to the Friends of the Library to fund projects at Pueblo City-County Library District.
Thank you for your support of the Friends in 2020-2021!