FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
The Friends of the Library, a voluntary membership organization with over 950 members, recognizes that excellence in library services enhances the quality of life in our community.
Chartered in 1960, FOL continues to support the growth of the Pueblo City-County Library District and its energetic programs. FOL operates a used book store "Books Again", which opened in 2005, to fund library programs, including the award-winning summer reading program, reading and writing contests and a bookmark design contest, as well as other unique and popular library projects.
The Friends of the Library annual meeting is held each April to elect board members for the coming year, to present the projected annual budget, and to give an annual report of services and activities. In addition, there is a dinner and special entertainment.
Funds raised through membership fees and sales at the Books Again Used Bookstore are used for many extra special projects at the library and its branches. Library employees may submit requests for funding special projects by filling out the Request for Funding Proposal form, available at the Books Again, and returning it there. Consideration of these requests is done twice a year by the Project Selection Committee of the Friends of the Library.
Membership income makes the library even better
Individual Membership, $15; Family, $20; Gold Card, $30; Platinum Card, $50; Business, $50; Benefactor, $100; and Patron Member, $500.
Click here for a membership form . Print the form, fill in requested information, and mail to Friends of the Pueblo City-County Library District, 622 S Union, Pueblo, Colorado 81004 , or ask for a membership form at any library location.
Individual/Family Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again and mailed copy of News & Events.
Gold/Platinum/Business Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and a valuable premium.
Benefactor/Patron Members: Receive 20% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and valuable premium.
All Members: Admittance to the Special One Day Preview Sale, for Members Only, before our huge Semi-Annual Books-by-the-Bag Sale held in May and October. Invitations to unique Friendsí programs and annual meeting program, including dinner and entertainment, and elected membership to the Friends of the Library Board of Directors.
Donating material to the Library and Bookstore
Books, videos, tapes, CDs, and DVDs may be donated for resale in Books Again. It is helpful if items are boxed. Unfortunately, worn out or soiled books, Readers Digest books, textbooks, old encyclopedias, and magazines are not saleable. Please do not include these in your donations. Gifts are tax deductible. If you have any questions about the usefulness of your gift, call 543-4688.
Accomplishments May 2013 - April 2014 -- Our 54th Year
Here is a partial list of what the Friends of the Library accomplished in 2013 - 2014:
- The Friends were the judges of over 2500 entries in the Scary Story Contest, with winners receiving the booklet of winning stories and a gift certificate.
- Sponsored the Friends of the Library Youth Writing Contest and provided gift certificates for winners of the Create Your Own Dr. Seuss Contest. .
- Donated $6,500 to the Pueblo City-County Library District's Summer Reading program, and donated $4,000 to the youth reading program.
- Awarded two scholarships to library district employees seeking a Masters of Library Science.
- Donated $11,500 to the Library District for the All Pueblo Reads program.
- Donated $22,000 to the Pueblo Library Foundation campaign for three new branch libraries.
- The Project Selection Committee of the Friends awarded funds to four grant requests from the Rawlings Library, which totaled $12,000.
- Provided $3,000 towards the printing and postage for News & Events. The newsletter is an important communication tool for informing the community of library programs, news services, and Friends' activities. The newsletter reached over 12,000 people and organizations last year.
- Selected Mary Simmons as their honoree for the 31st Pueblo Women's History Week Celebration.
To make these contributions possible, the Friends raise funds through memberships and the sale of used books.
- Memberships total 955.
- Books Again,the FOL used book store, had gross sales in 2013 of over $105,000 and 73% of our net sales after sales taxes went to benefit the library district.
- Our volunteers at Books Again logged over 7748 hours in operating the store.
- Since Books Again opened in July of 2005 over $434,000 in profits have been provided to the Friends of the Library to fund projects at the Pueblo Library District.