FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
The Friends of the Library, a voluntary membership organization with over 800 members, recognizes that excellence in library services enhances the quality of life in our community.
Chartered in 1960, FOL continues to support the growth of the Pueblo City-County Library District and its energetic programs. FOL operates a used book store "Books Again", which opened in 2005, to fund library programs, including the award-winning summer reading program, reading and writing contests and a bookmark design contest, as well as other unique and popular library projects.
The Friends of the Library annual meeting is held each April to elect board members for the coming year, to present the projected annual budget, and to give an annual report of services and activities. In addition, there is a dinner and special entertainment.
Funds raised through membership fees and sales at the Books Again Used Bookstore are used for many extra special projects at the library and its branches. Library employees may submit requests for funding special projects by filling out the Request for Funding Proposal form, available at the Books Again, and returning it there. Consideration of these requests is done twice a year by the Project Selection Committee of the Friends of the Library.
Membership income makes the library even better
Individual Membership, $15; Family, $20; Gold Card, $30; Platinum Card, $50; Business, $50; Benefactor, $100; and Patron Member, $500.
Click here for a membership form . Print the form, fill in requested information, and mail to Friends of the Pueblo City-County Library District, 622 S Union, Pueblo, Colorado 81004 , or ask for a membership form at any library location.
Individual/Family Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again and mailed copy of News & Events.
Gold/Platinum/Business Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and a valuable premium.
Benefactor/Patron Members: Receive 20% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and valuable premium.
All Members: Admittance to the Special One Day Preview Sale, for Members Only, before our huge Semi-Annual Books-by-the-Bag Sale held in May and October. Invitations to unique Friendsí programs and annual meeting program, including dinner and entertainment, and elected membership to the Friends of the Library Board of Directors.
Donating material to the Library and Bookstore
Books, videos, tapes, CDs, and DVDs may be donated for resale in Books Again. It is helpful if items are boxed. Unfortunately, worn out or soiled books, Readers Digest books, textbooks, old encyclopedias, and magazines are not saleable. Please do not include these in your donations. Gifts are tax deductible. If you have any questions about the usefulness of your gift, call 543-4688.
Accomplishments May 2011 - April 2012 -- Our 52nd Year
Here is a partial list of what the Friends of the Library accomplished in 2011 - 2012:
- The Friends were the judges of over 2500 entries in the Scary Story Contest, with winners receiving the booklet of winning stories and a gift certificate.
- Donated $6,500 to the Pueblo City-County Library District's Summer Reading program
- Awarded a $3,000 scholarship to a library district employee seeking a Masters of Library Science.
- Donated $10,000 to the Library Distirct to All Pueblo Reads program.
- Donated $25,000 to the Library District Foundation to help start the Foundation and contribute to the building of three new branch libraries.
- The Project Selection Committee of the Friends awarded funds in 2011 to ten grant requests from Rawlings, Barkman and Pueblo West Libraries, which totaled $27,153.
- Provided $5,500 towards the printing and postage for News & Events, the PCCL District's newsletter that reached over 12,000 people and organizations last year.
- Selected Frances Alexander, Annette Warfield, Lois Pfost and Jane Carlsen for awards at the 29th Pueblo Women's History Week Celebration.
- Books Again,the FOL used book store, had gross sales in 2011 of over $110,000 and 78% of our net sales, after sales taxes, went to benefit the library district.
- Our volunteers at Books Again logged over 7269 hours in operating the store.
- Since Books Again opened in July of 2005, the Friends have funded over $184,923 in projects in the Pueblo City/County Library District.