FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
The Friends of the Library, a voluntary membership organization with over 1,200 members, recognizes that excellence in library services enhances the quality of life in our community.
Chartered in 1960, FOL continues to support the growth of the Pueblo City-County Library District and its energetic programs. FOL operates a used book store "Books Again", which opened in 2005, to fund library programs, including the award-winning summer reading program, reading and writing contests and a bookmark design contest, as well as other unique and popular library projects.
The Friends of the Library annual meeting is held each April to elect board members for the coming year, to present the projected annual budget, and to give an annual report of services and activities. In addition, there is a dinner and special entertainment.
Funds raised through membership fees and sales at the Books Again Used Bookstore are used for many extra special projects at the library and its branches. Library employees may submit requests for funding special projects by filling out the Request for Funding Proposal form, available at the Books Again, and returning it there. Consideration of these requests is done twice a year by the Project Selection Committee of the Friends of the Library.
Since Friends of the Library was founded in 1960, over $1,000,000 has been donated to benefit Pueblo City-County Library District.
Membership in Friends of the Library
Membership income makes the library even better
Individual Membership, $15; Family, $20; Gold Card, $30; Platinum Card, $50; Business, $50; Benefactor, $100; and Patron Member, $500.
All Friends of the Library Family Memberships and above may, at no additional cost, register the children living in their home from the age of presechool to 4th grade (Kids' Club) or 5th grade and up (Young Readers League) in our Young Friends of the Library Club. Benefits include: Colorful personal membership card; special member party once each year; buy one get one free on all books in the Children and Youth Department at Books Again Used Book Store; and special benefits for members at Library Summer Reading Events. See membership form for details.
Click here for a membership form . Print the form, fill in requested information, and mail to Friends of the Pueblo City-County Library District, 622 S Union, Pueblo, Colorado 81004 , or ask for a membership form at any library location.
Individual/Family Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again and mailed copy of News & Events.
Gold/Platinum/Business Members: Receive 10% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and a valuable premium.
Benefactor/Patron Members: Receive 20% discount at Books Again, mailed copy of newsletter and valuable premium.
All Members: Admittance to the Special One Day Preview Sale, for Members Only, before our huge Semi-Annual Books-by-the-Bag Sale held in May and October. Invitations to unique Friendsí programs and annual meeting program, including dinner and entertainment, and elected membership to the Friends of the Library Board of Directors.
Friends of the Library Annual Luncheon and Business Meeting
The Friends of the Pueblo City/County Library District held their Annual Luncheon and Business Meeting at the Rawlings Library on Friday, April 21, 2017.
Among other items of business, the Friends of the Library elected the following slate of officers for 2016-2017: President - Dustin Hodge; Vice President - Stephanie Telles; Secretary - Monica Ayala; Treasurer - Leslie Carroll
The featured speaker was Dr. Donna Souder Hodge, faculty member at CSU-Pueblo, who provided many interesting insights into the changes in American English in recent years.
Mary Simmons was honored with the 7th annual "Friend of the Year" award. Mary was recognized for her service on the Friends of the Library Board, serving as board member, treasurer and president. As treasurer, she established an accurate and easily understood method for keeping the financial records of the organization. She was also methodical in formulating and adhering to a budget. All of this created a strong financial footing and reporting system for the organization that has continued to this day. As president of the Friends, Mary presided over meetings in a diligent way that assured that meetings, events and other functions were run smoothly and with great care. Her dedication to the organization continues today as she regularly volunteers at Books Again. Mary is very conscientious in all that she does and has been a wonderful asset to the Friends of the Library, in the store, on the Board, and as a member.
Sara Schwartz, Program and Events Manager, Pueblo City-County Library District, was recognized for her dedicated service.
Click here for photos of the 2017 Friends Annual Luncheon and Meeting.
Accomplishments May 2016 - April 2017 -- Our 57th Year
Here is a partial list of what the Friends of the Library accomplished in 2016 - 2017:
Educational and Recreational Activities:
- Judged 1,801 entries in the Scary Story Contest, with winners receiving the booklet of winning stories and a gift certificate to Books Again, and a Folkmanis puppet.
- Sponsored the Friends of the Library Youth Creative Writing Contest with 107 entries.
- Helped sponsor the annual Pueblo Girls Essay Contest for girls grades 3-5. Each grade winner received an American Girl Doll and book, and all runners-up received an American Girl Book.
- Sponsored the Create Your Own Dr. Seuss Character Contest by providing Books Again gift certificates to the winners and refreshments at the awards ceremony. Winners also received a booklet of the winning entries and a Dr. Seuss prize package. This was the 2nd highest year for the entries as 2,100 figments of students' imaginations were received!
- Will present Books Again gift certificates to the winners of the Poetry Contest awards ceremony in May.
- Donated $6,500 to the Pueblo City-County Library District's Summer Reading program.
- Donated $5,000 to the youth reading program.
- Donated $11,500 to the Library District for the All Pueblo Reads program.
Informational and Cultural Activities:
- The Project Selection Committee of the Friends awarded funds that totaled $31,985.93 to fulfill 24 grant requests from library employees.
- Awarded scholarships to three library district employees seeking a Masters of Library Science.
- Provided $3,000 towards the printing and postage for News & Events. The newsletter is an important communication tool for informing the community of library programs, news services, and Friends' activities. The newsletter reached over 22,000 people and organizations last year.
- Donated $7,250 to the Pueblo Library Foundation.
- Selected Caroline Parsley as their honoree for the Outstanding Women Awards in celebration of Women's History Month.
- Held the annual meeting on April 21.
What makes this possible?
To make these contributions possible, the Friends raise funds through memberships and the sale of used books.
- As of April 21, 2017, memberships total 1,261.
- Books Again,the FOL used book store, had gross sales in 2016 of $111,753 and 62% of net sales after sales taxes went to benefit the library district.
- During 2016, Books Again volunteers logged over 9,000 hours in operating the store.
- Since Books Again opened in July of 2005, over $605,292 in profits have been provided to the Friends of the Library to fund projects at the Pueblo Library District.
- Gave away approximately 400 books to children at the Kids Parade.